Visual Arts Intern
Job Title: Visual Arts Intern
Department: Visual Arts
Schedule: 2-3 full days, or 3-4 afternoons per week. Thursday evenings are required. Six months (part-time) commitment desired.
Reports to: Curator of Public Programs, Visual Arts
Pay Rate: Unpaid
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is looking for a highly motivated intern to help our Visual Arts (VA) Department’s Public Programs and Engagement team. You would support Curator of Public Programs of VA to implement contextual public programs and events related to our exhibitions and other public engagement series including Live Practice series and Opening Night Parties featuring live performances and music. Provide research as well as administrative and logistical support for the various projects.
General administrative and production support for Curator of Public Programs, Visual Arts. (Includes research, administrative, content generation, event production support etc)
- Conduct scholarly research on artists, general topics, art genres, and references for exhibitions
- Assist with writing and editing of art entries and text materials
- Correspondence with artists to plan logistics
- Organize artist, speaker and guest accommodations/flights/hospitality
- Assist with preparing materials for marketing purposes
- Assist with events production and logistical support in our curated public spaces
- Work opening night parties & misc. cultivation events
- Assisting with logistics and production of member events
- Project managing/editing marketing and solicitation pieces for audience development purposes
- Presentation content generation and graphic design
- Candidates must be enrolled in an accredited academic program and authorized by their school to participate in the internship
- Excellent oral / written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Familiarity with AV tech/ new media tools and equipment
- Working knowledge of Excel, power-point, basic graphic layout programs, and video editing
- Self motivated, detail oriented and organized
- Willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art and performances which present challenging and provocative subject matter
Course Credit, if applicable, in partnership with educational institution; opportunity to work closely with the staff at San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA), one of the nation’s premiere multi-disciplinary venues for contemporary, experimental and interdisciplinary arts. Interns will receive valuable real-world work experience and connections. Referrals / Letters of Recommendation will be given upon successful completion.
Send your resume and a brief paragraph outlining your interest in interning at YBCA in the body of an email to email@example.com. Please include “VA Intern” in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls or faxes — really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation. YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).