Performing Arts Intern
Job Title: Performing Arts Intern
Department: Performing Arts
Schedule: Negotiable, but preference given to candidates who can commit to a minimum of 6 months at 15-20 hours a week; To start May 1, 2017. The 2017-18 Performance season will consist of two performing arts festivals: Culture Moves, September 2017, and an Interdisciplinary international Performance Festival in May 2018.
Reports to: Performing Arts Manager and Associate Director of Performing Arts
We are currently seeking a spirited, reliable, pro-active intern who has a passion for and a desire to pursue a career in contemporary performing arts presenting, producing, and management. The intern will gain an overview of the Performing Arts Department programs, which includes YBCA Presents (curated performances and public programs) as well as Community Rentals, an extensive rental program for local performing arts organizations who wish to self-produce. The intern will support programs throughout YBCA’s campus including inside the YBCA Forum (a malleable, intimate “white box” space), the YBCA Theater (our state-of-the-art 757 seat proscenium venue), and in other alternative spaces throughout the YBCA campus. There will also be opportunities to interact and engage with the other programs at YBCA, such as Visual Arts and Civic Engagement.
The Performing Arts internship is currently comprised of three component areas. Applicants may apply for just one component area, but special consideration will be given to those who can intern in more than one area: Administration and Event Management, Residency & festival coordination, and Marketing and Outreach.
Administration and Event Management
This internship is ideal for someone who wants to gain experience in the administrative and logistical “behind-the-scenes” of YBCA’s Performing Arts Department. The intern will support the department in maintaining its administrative systems of events planning and calendaring, contracts and finances, and on-the-ground duties on the day-of-event, both for front of house (with audiences) as well as back of house (artist services).
- Provides administrative, logistical and hands-on support for both the YBCA Presents performances under the direction of the Performing Arts staff.
- Assists department with inter-departmental communications and scheduling, and back-of-house (artist hospitality) and front-of-house activities, etc.
- Assists department with maintaining archives and program files.
- Other research and duties as assigned.
Residency/ Festival Assistant
- Assist the department to advance the festival logistics for the 2017-18 Performing Arts Season, which will consist of September 2017 Culture Moves Festival and the May 2018 Festival with on the ground support;
- Assist with the planning and execution of Festival ancillary events, such as artist conversations and workshops.
- Assist the department with artist hospitality and backstage assistance to stage manager, such as checking in artists, creating welcome packets, ordering supplies, etc.
- Assist artists during residency with miscellaneous tasks and multiple simultaneous activities.
Marketing and Outreach
This internship is ideal for someone who has an interest in learning how we work to tell the stories of those whose work we present. Working closely with both the Performing Arts and Marketing departments, the intern will work to capture, contextualize and enhance the spirit of YBCA’s Performing Arts Presents programs. The intern will act as the primary contact for artists in regards to marketing and outreach efforts.
- Liaise between artists and the marketing department to collect, compile and edit information and photos/video from artists in accordance with internal deadlines.
- Proof read all public facing collateral for the department including, but not limited to, playbills, newsletters, e-cards.
- Assists department with outreach and community engagement efforts for the YBCA Presents program.
- Assist department with maintaining digital and print archives.
- Other research and duties as assigned.
- A passion for contemporary and experimental performing arts, festival coordination, and an interest in learning about arts administration and events management.
- Experience managing multiple projects, and deadlines. Experience in event management and festival coordination a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize.
- Mature team-player who can listen well, learn quickly and also work independently, as needed.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience working effectively in partnership with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- An enthusiasm for learning and a willingness to take on a variety of tasks, and be available during some evenings and weekends.
- Appreciation for working alongside contemporary works of art and performances which present challenging and provocative subject matter.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Gmail/Google applications
- Passion for diverse forms of performance, performance education, (music, dance, theater, interdisciplinary), and community engagement.
- Excellent people skills, helping to create a safe space for participants of all levels and backgrounds.
Course credit, if applicable, in partnership with educational institution; opportunity to work closely with the staff at San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA), one of the nation’s premiere multi-disciplinary venues for contemporary, experimental and interdisciplinary arts. Interns will receive valuable real-world work experience. Referrals / Letters of Recommendation will be given upon successful completion.
Review the details of each component area below and decide which area you would like to apply for. Email a resume to email@example.com. Please write “PA Intern” in the subject line and include a brief paragraph in the body of the email outlining which component area(s) you wish to be considered for and a brief summary of your goals and qualifications. Be sure to let us know your ideal Start Date:_________ and End Date:__________
Please, no phone calls or faxes — really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.