Manager, Audience Services and Volunteers
Job Title: Manager, Audience Services and Volunteers
Department: Visitor Experience
Status: Regular, Full-Time (37.5 Hours/Week with Benefits)
Schedule: Monday-Friday, with some weekends and evening hours as the schedule requires
Reports to: Director of Visitor Experience
The Manager, Audience Services & Volunteers plays a critical role in delivering the YBCA “experience” to our patrons. This role will be working with our management team to re-envision what it means to be an industry-leader in guest experience. The Manager, Audience Services & Volunteers is responsible for ensuring that front-of-house services for all YBCA events, activities, and venues consistently meet exceptional standards of customer service; this includes collaborating with Event Managers during the planning process of events, as well as supporting staff and clients on “the floor” during events. This position recruits, hires, trains, supervises, motivates, and schedules staff, as well as completes biweekly payroll for those staff members. Direct Reports: (1) Lead House Manager, (12) House Managers, (6) Staff Ushers
Audience Services Activities (50%)
- In collaboration with other front-line team leads, help create a new vision for the front-line teams, to ensure consistent exceptionally high level of customer service at YBCA, and meeting the high level of expectations associated with its programs and venues.
- Manage and oversee House Management staff, being present at events as needed ensure the team is effectively meeting venue, guest and client needs.
- Develop and employ front of house activities that effectively and consistently address issues related to safe public assembly (late seating, crowd control, and general public relations) working in collaboration with Ticketing Services, Visitor Experience, events and programs staff.
- Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of venue and event ADA and life safety regulations and best practices for a public assembly venue.
- Assume a leadership role in emergency situations, lead evacuations and safety related procedures; perform crisis intervention.
- Working as part of a team, ensure the ambiance, appearance, and general conditions of the audience services venues, and other guest accessible areas of YBCA are safe and appropriate.
Staff Support (30%)
- Maintain roster within events database (USI) for front of house employees and volunteers; insure all contact and scheduling information is current.
- Interview, hire, train, motivate, and supervise the Front of House staff.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date procedural policies for Front of House staff including house policies, and staff procedures (House Staff and F&B handbooks, to be updated annually).
- Develop and employ front of house activities that effectively and consistently address issues related to crowd control, ADA and life safety.
- Plan, and implement a training program for front of house personnel. Schedule and conduct periodic house staff sessions on safety and customer service.
- Volunteer training and management
- Supervise and annually evaluate all direct-reports.
- Approve Front of House timesheets on a bi-monthly basis.
- Oversee access to event management data base for FOH teams for the purpose of reporting relevant audience services information and other reporting as directed and required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in the performing arts, operations and theater management.
- High school diploma required.
- Minimum 1 year experience working in event or performing arts venue.
- Familiarity with ADA regulations and life safety procedures a plus.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Ability to lead a select, train, and motivate a team.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic collaborative environment.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong working knowledge of computer systems and software including word processing, spreadsheet, and event management software (USI, and Shiftboard a plus).
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art, performances and ideas which present challenging and provocative subject matter.
Benefits include PTO, Holiday Pay, Paid Time for Volunteer Work, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan.
Send your resume, desired compensation, & cover letter outlining your interest in working for YBCA to email@example.com. Please include “Manager ASV” in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls or faxes—really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!