Director of Visitor Experience
Job Title: Director of Visitor Experience
Status: Regular, Full-Time (37.5 hours/week, benefited)
Schedule: Monday-Friday, some evenings, weekends, & events
Reports to: Chief of Marketing
This new role will partner with YBCA’s senior leadership to create and maintain an irresistible visitor experience on YBCA’s campus. This is a highly strategic position that will need to inspire and implement significant change within the organization. It requires extensive managerial experience, bold creativity, a belief in radical hospitality, and impeccable aesthetic taste. This individual will work closely with all departments in the organization to create an accessible, inspiring, and safe experience for all visitors.
- Champion bold ideas and challenge existing notions of what an art center’s visitor experience can/should be
- Define the organizational vision for YBCA’s visitor experience and use it to inspire and enact change across all departments
- Understand how visitors move through YBCA’s spaces, and the implications for what they should experience along their journey
- Implement protocols & best practices that enable YBCA deliver the desired visitor experience consistently and confidently
- Create a high performing ecosystem of front line staff that work together to deliver the YBCA experience
- Stay on top of emerging customer service & brand experience trends, and use those insights to shape your recommendations
- Supervise (1) Full-Time Audience Services Manager and (1) Full-Time Visitor Services Manager
- Oversee all front line staff teams (including but not limited to, Visitor Services/Box Office, House Managers & Staff Ushers, and Security Guards) and deploy them to deliver the desired visitor experience
- Redefine job descriptions and recruiting specs for front line staff, and implement training & skill building opportunities for staff and volunteers
- Create clear guidelines for how YBCA’s public spaces should look & feel, and ensure guidelines are consistently followed
- Partner with Events dept. to ensure corporate rental events and community rental events live in harmony with our desired visitor experience
- Partner with Marketing to solicit visitor feedback, and use learnings to frame up opportunities for improving the visitor experience
- Partner with Marketing to assess how printed materials and signage can contribute to the desired visitor experience
- Contribute to any decisions regarding interior design, spatial redesign, or architectural updates of YBCA’s spaces
- Be knowledgeable of ADA compliance and life safety protocols
- Lead the YBCA “experience team”; a cross-functional task force that provides consultation on all experience-related initiatives
- Provide YBCA’s C-Suite and department heads with ongoing insight and analysis on the visitor experience
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in a relevant field of study
- Minimum of 7 years of management experience at a major arts & culture organization, entertainment destination, public venue, or other highly relevant environment
- Proven track record of enacting positive organizational change
- Understands the intersection of branding and visitor experience
- Expertise in people development and team building
- Versed in placemaking and how space/aesthetics can affect an experience
- Ability to sell, influence, and generate consensus with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent project management and communication skills
- A “get it done” spirit and a creative problem solver at heart
- Passion for art, culture, and social change
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
Benefits include PTO, Holiday Pay, Paid time for volunteer work, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefit, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Visitor Experience” in the subject line of your email. Regretfully, individuals who don’t meet the stated Position Requirements will not be considered.
Please, no phone calls or faxes—really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation. YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).